In today’s eco-conscious world, businesses are increasingly aiming to implement sustainable practices in every aspect of their operations. With one-fifth of all carbon emissions coming from manufacturing and production, businesses are looking for new ways to stay in front of consumers without making a large environmental impact.
Yet among the many ways that a business can begin to adopt a more sustainable approach, few are as straightforward and visible as the use of commercial signage.
Commercial signage is everywhere – from storefronts and shop windows to billboards and other outdoor signage. Such signs are an invaluable tool for businesses, as they can be used to alert potential customers of their goods and services while also expressing the company’s values and mission.
You may know commercial signage by some of its other names including: outdoor led signs, digital signs, commercial signs, or business signs. Yet they are all substitutes for one another, and can pretty much be used interchangeably.
Let’s take a closer look at the concept of sustainable commercial signage – and how your business can begin to make the switch.
What’s The Big Deal About Sustainability?
Modern consumers are looking to support businesses that they feel are committed to creating environmentally responsible and sustainable products.
Research into consumer buying habits has found that people are increasingly likely to choose companies prioritizing sustainability (78%), even if it means paying slightly more for their products and services.
This is a trend that has been seen in almost every industry – and commercial signage is no exception. Making the switch to sustainable commercial signage can do wonders for your business’s public image – and its bottom line. Not only will you be seen as a business that is mindful of its environmental footprint, but you can also save money in the long run – sustainable signs last longer and require less frequent maintenance.
Environmentally Friendly Materials and Production Methods for Commercial Signage
So what can a business do to offset their impact on the environment? The answer is to switch to sustainable signage materials and production methods. Reusing, recycling, and upcycling materials are all great ways to save money while reducing waste.
A growing number of businesses are moving toward renewable or eco-friendly materials when buying or producing products. And there’s no reason signage can’t be part of that process!
When it comes to choosing commercial signage, opt for materials that are sustainable and renewable, such as:
- Bamboo: A remarkably resilient and lightweight material that grows rapidly and regenerates quickly, making it one of the most environmentally friendly choices for signage.
- Recycled aluminum: Aluminum signs are long-lasting, lightweight, and recyclable. Choosing recycled aluminum over virgin stock can reduce your carbon footprint.
- FSC-certified wood: Wood is a traditional choice for signs, but ensure that your wood comes from responsibly managed forests by seeking Forest Stewardship Council-certified products.
- Reclaimed corrugated steel: Reclaimed corrugated steel is an excellent alternative to traditional sheet metal for signs. It’s highly durable, rust-resistant, and can easily be recycled at the end of its life.
No matter what material you choose, make sure that your signage is designed with sustainability in mind. Look for suppliers who use eco
Low-Impact Production Practices
In addition to selecting eco-friendly materials, keep these low-impact production practices in mind when you choose your next sign from a manufacturer or distributor:
- Water-based inks: Traditional solvent-based inks are high in volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which contribute to air pollution. As an alternative, choose water-based inks that have low VOC content.
- LED illumination: If you need illuminated signs, opt for energy-efficient LED lighting, which uses significantly less energy and lasts longer than other options.
- Solar-powered signs: Harness the power of the sun to light up your signs, further minimizing grid-sourced energy usage.
- Sustainable packaging: Choose a sign provider that uses recycled and/or recyclable materials for packaging. This can reduce production waste as well as your carbon footprint.
- Green manufacturing processes: Look for providers who have adopted green practices such as energy-efficient equipment, low water usage, and waste reduction protocols.
How to Choose Sustainable Commercial Signs for Your Business
Finding the right eco-friendly commercial signs for your business starts with understanding your needs and considering sustainability factors at each step of the process. Some tips include:
- Assess your signage needs: Determine the scope of your signage project, the type of signs required, and your desired lifespan.
- Consult with a signage expert: Engage the help of a signage professional with experience in sustainable commercial signs to guide you in making the best decisions for your specific case.
- Request green materials: Clearly communicate your sustainability goals to your signage provider and request materials that align with your objectives. Opt for environmentally conscious producers: Partner with sign producers who prioritize eco-friendly practices throughout their operations.
- Maintenance and disposal plans: Consider the ongoing maintenance of your signs and how you’ll dispose of them at the end of their life cycle, ideally recycling or repurposing signage components to minimize waste.
The Brand & Business Benefits of Using Eco-Friendly Signage
Adopting eco-friendly signage solutions provides several tangible benefits for your business, including:
Sustainable Signage Can Enhance Your Brand Image
Demonstrating your commitment to sustainable practices through your commercial signs can improve your brand’s reputation among environmentally conscious consumers. And when you can draw a direct connection between your sustainability efforts and your brand, you’ll be able to increase customer loyalty and engagement.
Eco-Friendly Practices Can Save You Money
In addition to enhancing your brand image, investing in eco-friendly signage can save you money in the long run.
By working with sign producers who prioritize sustainable materials and processes for their operations, you can ensure that your signs are made with renewable resources and in a way that doesn’t harm the environment. This helps to lower your costs and reduce your environmental footprint at the same time.
You’ll Leave a Smaller Footprint
By using recycled materials and energy-efficient illumination, you directly contribute to reducing your business’s environmental impact. Rather than creating new materials, you can purchase signs made from recycled paper pulp and plastics, contributing to the circular economy.
Consider Reclaimed Materials For Your Next Commercial Signage
Commercial signage plays a crucial role in shaping sustainable business practices. By choosing MEGA you can create a greener, cost-effective solution that will help reduce your carbon footprint and enhance your brand image.
Most importantly, partner with a sign manufacturer that has a record of quality and sustainability. By making green choices when selecting your commercial signage, you not only help the environment but also make a statement that your business cares about more than just profit.