The current advances in sports technology enhance the viewing experience in a variety of ways. Virtual reality headsets make at-home viewers feel like they’re in the stadium or on the court or field. Smart stadiums optimize safety and security and create multiple experiential perks and consumer efficiencies. For athletes, technology is being utilized in a variety of ways to enhance training, performance, and recovery.
Even if you have an HD smart TV, you are limited to the camera angles you can view the game from on your TV. With virtual reality goggles, at-home viewers are empowered to watch the game in 360-degrees and from a variety of vantage points. This includes the best seats in the stadium, viewing from the court or field, and the ability to change vantage points. The viewing experience is arguably better than many stadium seats, but there’s nothing like the energy of a live crowd.
You’ll need a pair of VR goggles. Then you’ll need to determine how to watch your game of choice at home through Fox Sports VR, Next VR, Oculus Venues, and other VR platforms that have partnered with stadiums and athletic associations.
The price varies for viewing each game, but VR viewing is a cost-effective way to watch your favorite national and international sports teams from anywhere in the world. Or, if your seats aren’t the best, you can watch live games with your VR headsets on.
If VR isn’t available for the game you want to watch, explore your options in apps that empower you to stream international games in real-time through Apple-TV, Roku, and more.
Smart stadiums offer a variety of evolving features and functions. A custom IoT is created, and ticket holders can log in to the secure high-speed internet upon arrival. Sports technology is utilized for everything from safety and security to streamlined entry and navigation and improved guest experience.
Download your local team or ticket provider’s app for a variety of perks and benefits, including but not limited to the ability to:
- View upcoming game dates and season stats.
- Select your seats and order your tickets with your secure mobile wallet.
- Enjoy automated reminders of upcoming games and game day alerts.
- Browse player stats and receive real-time stats during the game.
- Scan your mobile parking pass or event e-ticket.
- Navigate the parking lot, find lockers, restrooms, food vendors, and seats.
- Find the nearest bathroom or exit or the least busy bathroom or exit.
- Connect with iBeacon technology to send push notifications to users to encourage upsells or let them know what vendors or amenities are nearby.
- Order food and sports gear from your seat or for express pick up from vendors.
- Allow repeat fans to check in and make purchases with facial recognition technology.
- Earn rewards and loyalty program points.
- And more!
Improved Stadium Security
Event attendees won’t notice all the new safety and security measures in smart stadiums, but they often include:
- Mobile confirmation of COVID vaccinations for arenas that require vaccination for entry.
- Biometric and facial recognition for team members, team staff, and stadium or arena staff to prevent unauthorized entry in staff-only areas.
- Advanced infrastructure monitoring algorithms for crowd management, detecting concerning behavior, and identifying areas that require cleaning or maintenance.
- Advanced CCTVs strategically placed throughout the grounds to improve safety and security.
Event sponsor banners were replaced with LED screens several years ago, but now they are an essential part of each venue’s personalized sports technology plan.
- Interactive digital screens are utilized as scoreboards and for multi-purpose communications.
- HD screens ensure banners stand out, provide the ability to display video and motion graphics, and the sponsor can display multiple banners during the game.
- Banners and strategically placed screens can be utilized for entertainment during the halftime show.
- Screens can be utilized to provide fans with multiple game vantage points, close up of plays, instant replays, share player stats, and more.
- During halftime fans can share photos and videos to the mega monitors to connect with their fellow game-goers.
- Smaller screens can be placed throughout the parking lot and grounds for navigation, communication, safety messaging, ads, and entertainment.
- An increasing number of food vendors and souvenir shops are utilizing LED screens as a digital menu board or digital pricelist. This is ideal as the signs can be updated in real-time. For example, to remove a food item from the menu once it’s sold out or to let shoppers know what sizes of t-shirts or swag are left.
Athletes and sports medicine physicians leverage wearable sports technology to collect real-time data and alerts far beyond what a smartwatch is capable of. Athletes may have smartwatches too, but they are looking for more.
Below is a quick look at several options, each of which connects with other apps and devices, transfer real-time data, and generate current and predictive analytics.
- Athleticwear with built-in haptic vibrations to encourage proper technique and alignment while training.
- Clothing and wearables with sensors that track biometrics and data including heart rate, oxygen levels, hydration levels, motion, anaerobic threshold, fitness level, stress level, speed, distance, altitude, performance, and more.
- Monitor caloric intake, nutrition tracking, daily hydration, quality of sleep, and more.
- Smart socks to measure foot health and pressure points.
- Smart sleepwear that absorbs body heat and releases infrared light for improved muscle recovery.
- Apps that suggest personalized training and nutrition. For example, to hydrate before an athlete gets dehydrated or when to rest a muscle group.
- Apparel with robotics built-in to improve recovery and optimize training.
- And more!
Want To Add More LEDs To Your Sports Venue?
While community leagues and school sporting venues may not have the budget for all the sports technology above, many are adding LED screens as scoreboards, for advertising, communications, and improved viewing.
Not to worry if you live in an area with extreme temperatures, as Mega LED Technology will build your screen with the internal components to ensure year-round full function. Reach out today to learn more!