The most effective way to market your digital products is through digital marketing. However, you may also benefit from marketing your digital offerings on outdoor digital billboards. It’s not a strategy that will work for every product, but when a strategy is in place it can be an effective part of your cross-channel marketing.
What Is A Digital Product?
There are countless digital products to choose from. It refers to any type of product that is consumed via a digital channel. This often means an existing product that you purchase and download or login to access. However, digital products can also be custom-made.
Some of the most popular options include:
- Live or prerecorded courses
- Digital art
- Graphic design
- Printable templates
- And more
Why Create A Digital Product?
There are a variety of reasons to create, market, and sell digital products. Some are primary products while others are complementary or secondary products. With proper marketing, many digital offerings create an automated stream of income—while others require hands-on order processing or ongoing customer service.
Here are a few examples:
- Create an app for your restaurant so that customers can order digitally. The app is a complementary product that empowers customers to order ahead for pickup or delivery—without the need for a third-party delivery partner.
- Self-publishing an eBook on Amazon, your website, and other online channels creates an automated stream of income.
- An accountant could sell a monthly budget template and budgeting guide to their clients as an upsell to their tax services.
- A software company’s software is a primary product. However, the software is not a simple download or login to access, as they must provide remote onboarding, training, and customer service.
- A photographer could sell digital copyrights of their prints to be used on websites, blog posts, and other forms of digital media.
- An expert in anything could create a guide or training course. The guide or course may be time-consuming and expensive to create, but once created it generates an automated stream of income.
- A personal stylist could offer live services for local clients and offer virtual styling services for out-of-area clients.
Where To Sell Digital Products?
This is entirely up to you! When possible, maximize your sales on platforms that already have a built-in audience. For example, selling your digital templates on Etsy. Just be mindful of the commission third-party platforms charge, as well as their monthly membership and other fees.
Sell your digital products on or in:
- Your website
- Landing pages
- Social media platforms
- Third-party platforms
- Digital ads
- Social media ads
- Email marketing
- In-app marketing
- And more
How To Market Digital Products Online?
Online marketing channels empower you to capture hyper-targeted leads and stay in contact with them via email marketing. It also empowers you to sell your digital products in any city, state, or country—rapidly expanding your income potential far beyond strategically placed outdoor digital billboards. To minimize the learning curve and maximize your ROI, work with a digital marketer.
Leads can be hyper-targeted online by factors such as:
- Geographic location
- Native language
- Personal interests and goals
- Professional interests and goals
- Website search history
- Social media search history
- Purchasing habits
- Level of education
- And much, much more
Offline marketing can also be targeted, but it’s far more limiting. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a time and place for offline marketing.
How To Market Digital Products Offline?
You can utilize all traditional offline marketing channels to market your digital products, but not all offline channels will be effective for your digital offerings. Whatever channels you choose to utilize, getting prospects from your traditional marketing channel to your digital channel is the objective. Also, utilize cross-channel marketing to ensure a cohesive message and generate more buzz.
For example, if you just created an app for customers to place orders for pick up and delivery for your restaurant, grocery store, or retail store—you would add the app to your website, share it on social media, add the app link to email marketing, and add it to all printed mailers, in-store posters, menus, catalogs, digital signs, and rented outdoor billboard signs.
On the flip side, the same strategy would not be as effective for a self-published author who is marketing their eBook. But if the author will be appearing at a book signing event, they may benefit from a bit of local area marketing before the event.
Generally, offline marketing has a much higher cost per acquisition than digital marketing—so choose your offline channels wisely. For example, it may only be beneficial during the holiday season, your busy season, in targeted big cities, or with hyper-targeted offline mailing lists or print marketing. For example, purchasing ad space in a printed parenting magazine for your sleep training digital course.
When To Rent Outdoor Digital Billboards?
Sticking with the retail and restaurant app example above, marketing your digital product on digital signs is only effective in the cities you have brick-and-mortar locations. However, there are other times to consider renting digital ad space.
- If you will be attending a trade show or industry event, rent ad space in the trade show city before and during the event or show.
- Rent or purchase smaller signs to use as engaging or interactive displays during festivals, events, and trade shows.
- Share short videos of product demos or product highlights and add a URL or hashtag to the sign to show customers where to go to learn more.
- If you’ll be hosting a pop-up shop, rent local signs and ad space to promote your sale—and be sure to highlight some of your digital products.
- If you’ll be hosting a live but sold out, exclusive, or VIP event promote a discounted price for the recorded copy of the event.
In The Market For Outdoor Digital Billboards?
While you can always rent out digital ad space, you may prefer to invest in your own. Don’t limit yourself to only posting your own ads, as you can mix your ads in with paid ads as another stream of income. Reach out to Mega LED Technology today to discuss custom-built indoor and outdoor signs.