Digital billboard advertising is on the rise across the nation. From full-size outdoor billboards to oversized indoor and exterior signs. They’re used to advertise and communicate at malls, churches, schools, airports, gas stations, car dealerships, hotels, restaurants, retailers, government agencies, and more. Here are 8 reasons to add Digital billboard advertising to your marketing mix.
#1 Digital Billboard Advertising is Effective
Let’s begin with the numbers. Everything you invest in must have a clear and measurable ROI. For more on how to measure the ROI of digital billboard advertising, read this blog post.
Here is some ROI of Digital billboard advertising:
- 71% of people who walk by recall viewing digital ads, which is far higher than printed ads.
- 52% noticed digital billboards that gave directions to a store, business, or restaurant.
- 57% of them immediately visited the business after viewing the ad.
- 93% of those visiting the business made a purchase.
- 52% of viewers with smartphones have engaged in actions on their mobile device after seeing a digital billboard in the past year.
- Depending on the size, signs can be clearly viewed from 1 to 4 blocks away.
#2 Diverse Content Mix
Some Digital signs only post text and not all have HD capabilities. Due to their expansive size, billboards must always be high definition. Otherwise, their text, images, and video will be pixelated and distorted.
With an HD display, your content mix can be diverse and you can post everything from:
- Traditionally designed ads
- Text only
- Images (jpg, gif, etc.)
- Motion graphics
- PowerPoint presentations
- Real-time data
- Sports scores
- Investment pricing
- Upcoming events
- Daily schedules
- Schedule updates
- Virtual tours
- Product demonstrations
- Product unboxing
- Facebook posts
- Instagram account cycling through images
- And more!
#3 Custom Playlists
Static signs continue to have their time and place, but they remain limited. With digital billboard advertising, the same sign can alternate between a variety of ads. Or a mix of ads and messaging. Each sign comes with intuitive software that can be preschedule in advanced and updated in real-time. Our trained specialists will go over how to use the software and if you’re ever in need of assistance you can schedule a virtual demo here:
- Alternating a cohesive series of ads. Maybe the same blouse styled three different ways.
- A mix of ads and messaging. Maybe local community events mixed in with promotions.
- A series of 3 to 5-second ads that alternate between 5 or more different businesses.
- And more!
#4 Targeted Promotions
Some digital signs can only be rented out by the hour, day, week, or month. Or some are rented out by the time of the day, which is effective for creating targeted promotions. Even if a business has rented the sign for the day, they can switch their ads by the time of the day. If the sign is yours, schedule your playlist any way you like.
- The morning sign can be catered more towards kids on their way to school.
- The PM rush hour sign can be targeted to professionals on their way home.
- The evening sign can be targeted toward nightlife activities such as theaters, clubs, bars, and nearby restaurants.
- Restaurant signs can automatically switch from breakfast to lunch and dinner.
- Church and school signs can feature welcome, send-off, and event messages.
#5 Production Flexibility
If you own the sign, the upfront investment is certainly more. However, the production cost of your signs is lower. Printed signs typically stay up for 1 to 3 months at a time, maybe longer. Since digital signs can rotate, you can update your signs more often, swap out the sign-in real-time, and even reuse your signs.
Not all digital ads can be reused, but they may be given new life with creative editing. For example, using a similar Christmas ad as you did last year with updated text and images.
#6 Real-Time Updates
We touched on this briefly above, but let’s dive in a bit deeper. Let’s say you have a sign designed for your restaurant’s seasonal raspberry menu items. You invest in beautiful images that are used for your digital billboard advertising. But then raspberries run out of stock.
With printed billboards, you’d be stuck apologizing to customers who came in craving the raspberry dishes in your ad. With a digital billboard, you can immediately schedule a replacement ad until raspberries are back in stock. No need to delete it! Just delay the ad, until you – the business owner decide its time to put it back up. This is next level marketing that you control.
The ability to update signs in real-time also allows for emergency messaging, last-minute sales, schedule updates, personalized communication, and more!
#7 Signs Can Be Layered
Printed signs typically aren’t layered, but layering is a hot trend in the digital billboard advertising industry. Layering won’t work for every sign location but can be highly effective in the right location.
This might include:
- Layering a backlit logo sign with a scrolling text sign.
- Layering a scrolling text sign under an HD sign.
- Layering 2 or more HD signs vertically or horizontally.
- Creating an expansive video wall.
- And more!
Click here to view real-life examples.
#8 Life-Size Or Larger Than Life
One of the many reasons car dealerships invest in digital billboard advertising is because they can post their vehicles in a life-size display. Not only are the vibrant LED lights and HD image and video quality as crystal-clear as a real vehicle—but the sign can give a 360-degree virtual tour of the vehicle. It can view the vehicle from all angles, including the interior and top. It can point out unique amenities and safety features. It can even include the lease or sales price in the video.
Skyscraper digital billboard advertising often feature products that are displayed significantly larger than they are in real-life, which makes even more of an impact. Regardless of the size of your sign, it’s wise to invest in a digital sign designer who understands the importance of size and scale for oversized signs. Also, someone who knows how to optimize digital graphics and special effects.
Ready To Invest In A Digital Billboard?
Countless ad agencies and private sign owners rent out ad space, but if you’d like to invest in your own sign—we invite you to reach out to Mega LED Technology. Our signs can be utilized for digital billboard advertising, communication, and more!