Fun And Functional Church Sign Ideas
Indoor and outdoor signage is an effective way to communicate with both your Church community and your congregation. This goes beyond posting inspiring scripture to welcoming new members, finding a bit of humor, sharing vital local information, reminding people of upcoming events, and connecting and engaging in countless ways. Here are a few church sign ideas you can use as inspiration.
Outdoor Church Sign Ideas
Your outdoor Church signs have the most potential for branding your church, connecting and engaging with those who drive by, and attracting new members. Most churches have a painted, carved, backlit, or digital sign for their logo and church name—and some type of message board. Backlit signs with changeable letters are popular but limited to the amount of text you can display and how frequently they can be changed. Yes, they can be changed daily, but it takes time, the letters are difficult to sort, and the weather can make it challenging to change as frequently as you might like.
For this reason, many churches are and have been, upgrading to LED church signs. These are often 2 or 3 layered signs, mounted on an elegant brick foundation or a sturdy metal base. The signs are vibrant, easy to view day and night, and can alternate messages—which are prescheduled from inside the church with the accompanying sign software. You can continue to post scripture but can change it daily if you would like.
You could even have a new psalm or message for every day of the year! You can also add photos, short videos, share the daily event schedule, design engaging messages to welcome and send off guests, and alternate a variety of signs per day. Be sure to remain on each sign for 5 to 10 seconds, as that is the average time it takes for your message to be read.
Exterior, Entrance, and Lobby Signs
In addition to your primary entrance signs, add exterior signs to designate the parking lot entrance and exit and to guide members and guests throughout your church grounds. You can also add signs to designate parking for handicap, elderly, and pregnant guests. Even if your church or lobby is small consider adding a small or medium-sized sign at one or both your entrance and lobby. Be strategic with what you place on these signs, including but not limited to these Church Sign Ideas:
- Display church office hours
- Share service times
- Provide a map and directory
- Scheduled church groups and activities
- Scheduled non-secular activities and events
- Highlight upcoming virtual church events
- Direct parking lot traffic
- Share local safety information including COVID-19 protocols
- Welcome members and guest to each service and activity
- Welcome wedding guests and non-secular event guests
- Say goodbye to members and guests after each service or activity
- Highlight the rental events your church offers—conferences, meetings, weddings, etc.
- Deliver a mix of essential church information—name, denomination, phone, address, point of contact, website, social media, etc.
Interior Church Sign Ideas
Once inside your signs need to be geared toward function and flow. This may include a catch-all church bulletin board but think of how signs can be used to better serve your members and guests. The larger your church, the more signs are required. This will likely be a mix of traditional and digital signs.
- Place signs outside of each room to indicate what the room is for—nursery, conference room, youth group, wedding, pastor’s office, etc.
- Ensure your bathrooms are clearly marked and that you have strategically placed signs to direct guests where to go
- Digital signs are great outside of multi-purpose rooms to share the daily schedule and indicate who has the room at the current moment
- Add a menu board sign to your restaurant to eliminate the need for menus, including prices, sales, and photos of food and beverages
- Consider how to utilize new Church Sign Ideas, gift shop or bookstore signs, including announcing new arrivals, sales, and suggested reading
What To Put On Your Signs To Connect And Engage?
Now that you know how to use your signs for safety, function, flow, and general FAQs—it’s time to have a bit of fun. Use your signs to express the personality of your church by sharing humorous or meaningful messages. With the larger space and ability to alternate messages with LED signs, you can incorporate a variety of the church sign ideas below. Many of these are borrowed from other churches, but you can use them as inspiration for your own signs. You’ll see how they draw from scripture, trending cultural references, TV and movies, more recently, the Covid-19 pandemic, and more. Some Church Sign Ideas can include:
- Social distancing does not stop love
- Eat, pray, and share toilet paper
- Come as you are you can change inside
- Jesus had two dads and he turned out fine
- Adam and Eve, the first people not to read Apple’s Terms and Conditions
- Sin bad, Jesus good
- If there’s a highway to heaven and a staircase to hell it says a lot about anticipated traffic
- Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet him
- God prefers kind atheists over hateful Christians
- Just love everyone, God will sort them out later
- Tweet others as you would like to be tweeted
- Satan called, he wants his weather back
- I find your lack of faith disturbing—Darth Vader
- God gave us mouths that close and ears that don’t, that should tell us something
- There are some answers that can’t be Googled
- God shows no favoritism but we do—Go 49ers!
- Jesus has more likes than you
- We’re not DQ but we have great Sundays
- You have a new friend request from God—Confirm or Ignore?
- Seven days without prayer makes one weak
Inspired To Upgrade Your Church Signs with our Church Sign Ideas?
If the church sign ideas above have inspired you to upgrade or add more LED signs, we invite you to reach out to Mega LED Technology. We’re based in California, we custom design your signs to your individual specs—and ship nationwide. Reach out today for your free church sign quote! Got some Church Sign Ideas of your own? Comment them below!