How we communicate with our consumers, leads, employees, and colleagues continue to evolve. More specifically, communication is becoming increasingly mobile. In addition, companies are prioritizing preferred communication channels. Our lives are busier than ever so the digital communication trends for 2022 make getting in touch and staying in touch easier.
Everyone has a preferred communication method and identifying what it is keeps you connected and engaged. Internal email and external email marketing remain a cornerstone of communication, but multi-channel is of increasing importance. Both engagement and open rates are higher when you communicate in the recipient’s preferred method of communication.
This may sound like more work for your call center or customer service team, but with the right software and API integrations multi-channel communication is streamlined.
- SMS & text messaging
- Instant messaging
- Social media direct messaging
- Apple Business Chat
- RCS Google Messages
- And more!
2.) Call Centers For SMBs
We live in an increasingly on-demand world, so even consumers who want to support small or local businesses expect a rapid response. If they don’t get in touch with you in a timeframe that is convenient for them, they will likely move on to a competitor. Digital Communication trends show that Call centers ensure that no call is ever missed.
It used to be that call centers were only utilized by large corporations, but 2022’s digital communication trends include call centers for all. With an increase in globalization and consumer desire to communicate after-hours, even small and mid-sized businesses are turning to call centers to ensure 24-hour communication. This goes beyond forwarding calls after-hours, to forwarding calls any time of day.
For example, a real estate agent may forward their calls during an open house, or a massage therapist may forward their calls while with a client. Call center support teams are also a cost-effective solution for solopreneurs and small businesses who can’t afford a full-time receptionist.
Ensuring calls are never missed is essential, but many businesses are empowering consumers and employees with self-service options. This speaks to the increased desire for both on-demand service options and DIY solutions.
A few self-service digital communication trends options to consider are:
- Online and mobile appointment scheduling, confirmation, rescheduling, and canceling.
- Online and mobile account management, including digital payment processing.
- Internal company apps to track hours, request time off, call in sick, and more.
- Report a utility outing by SMS, AI chatbot, or social media instead of waiting on hold.
Again, even small business owners are adopting the digital communication trends above.
4.) Conversational AI
AI chatbots lighten your customer service department’s load. They can communicate via social media, SMS/text, website popups, and more. With artificial intelligence, most consumers will feel like they are speaking with a live agent. The chatbot’s algorithms are designed to answer your FAQs in a conversational manner. If they can’t answer a question, they guide consumers to the appropriate resource. This may be a page on your website, an automated email to your customer service team, or transferring to a live agent.
Questions that can’t be answered are tracked so that additional information can be added to the algorithm so that the chatbot gets “smarter” as time goes on. Reports of chatbot communications also provide valuable consumer data and insights.
Automated solutions increase open rates, engagement, conversions, upsells, repeat sales, and more. This goes beyond automated email and text messaging.
- Businesses are integrating their CRM, CMS, sales software, marketing software, and other software to gather in-depth consumer insights. This personalizes and improves communication by leveraging data to better qualify and engage with leads.
- When a client starts speaking with an AI chatbot, they may be asked to submit their account information for a more detailed response.
- Instead of scheduling mass targeted emails and text messages, communication is automated by individual consumer shopping habits. For example, a friendly reminder to reorder 3 weeks before running out of a 90-day supply of a nutritional supplement.
- Automate a message to remind shoppers that they have unpurchased items in their shopping cart or that items on their wish list are on sale.
- Automating appointment reminders, appointment confirmations, order updates, and more.
- Preschedule ringless voicemails to automatically drop into consumers’ voicemail boxes.
- Create a voice-activated (IVR) call tree to efficiently route callers to the correct department. This reduces hold times for consumers who don’t have time to spare.
6.) Optimized Internal Communication
Companies are rethinking the way they communicate with their employees and colleagues. This includes:
- Improved lateral communication is being prioritized to minimize bottlenecks caused by inter-department projects. For example, to create an employee-driven solution for how to ensure that accounting gathers the information they require in time for their monthly PNL statement.
- With increased pressure from industry-wide cover up whistleblowers, HR departments are transitioning back to their initial objective of resolving conflicts and claims instead of managing and covering them up. This often means performing in-house and/or third-party mediation and conflict resolution.
- Creating proprietary apps or using project management apps for mobile communication and updates. This provides an efficient mobile communication solution which is essential while on the go and while working from home. Many of these apps can be programmed to go silent during set hours to improve employee balance.
7.) Digital Signage
Increased use of Digital signage began during the pandemic. Like all of the digital communication trends above, the way signs are used for internal and external communication continues to evolve. Digital signs are placed both internally and externally for a variety of purposes, including:
- Utilizing external signs to communicate COVID protocols, business hours, upcoming events, promotions, and more.
- Utilizing internal signs as directories, to answer consumer FAQs, and promote products, services, amenities, and more.
- Upgrading to interactive signs to personalize shopping, as a virtual dressing room, to sync with shopping beacons, and more.
- Utilizing internal signs in the break room or targeted areas for training, safety reminders, sharing daily memos, and more.
Ready To Upgrade Your Communication With Digital Signage?
If LED signage is one of the digital communication trends that you would like to adopt or expand, we invite you to reach out to Mega LED Technology. We custom build our signs to your unique specifications. Reach out today to explore your options!